Wednesday, July 15, 2009

What doesn't kill you

So I've made it halfway through the first block of intern year. Only 12.5 more to go and 38.5 more til I'm done with residency. One of my colleagues counted and figured that when you take about vacations and days off we have about 1000 working days of residency. I don't know it's much to early to begin a countdown. Anyway last night was a hectic call night. Sick babies and kinda reminiscent of my first night minus the chest compressions. Funny enough though I was not as freaked out as I was my first night. I wasn't on the verge of a panic attack. Somewhere around 11 this morning as I was trying to finish up some loose ends so I could head home and I got paged for the 15th time about this baby that i have no idea what exactly is wrong with her...I realized the comment my attending made after the first night was right. Regardless of how bad it gets it would never be that bad again. I was skeptical at the time b/c I thought of bad in terms of volume and life or death interventions. However I now realize that bad deals with your ability to handle whatever is thrown at you. It will never be that bad again b/c you can only have one first night, one first call, and one first time of being scared b/c you feel like you're alone. All the other times you tap into experience. So yes last night was busy, I got no sleep, and there were sick babies but I had a library to tap into a little bit more confidence and I got the adrenaline rush that well you have to be a doctor to understand. So I left work tired but satisfied.

1 comment:

  1. I like that - it will never be that bad again because . . . Look at that wisdom coming through. Praise God.

    ReplyDelete