So every Wed afternoon and Monday mornings when I'm not on a hospital service I have continuity clinic. We are each assigned to a practice group made up of residents from each year so we inherit patients from the 3rd years that just left and we add our own patients as we see people in the hospital or as we develop various interests. It for me was the thing I'vebeen most looking forward to about becoming a resident. We haven't gotten our business cards yet though. Anyway today was my second clinic I love it and I've only had infants. I love providing anticipatory guidance, and answering questions and providing preventative care. I already love the 3 families I've met over these 3 weeks and can't wait to watch these 4 kids grow over the next 3 years. And the many others that I'll meet. I think that this is the most rewarding part of being a pediatrician. Other pediatricians may feel differently but for me that's it, and I know it's true b/c today was yet another crappy day. I literally by 7pm had only had an egg and a bag of chips all day but I went to clinic and left in a great mood. I also think that while I now know that doctors have many different roles and do many different things within the scope of practicing medicine and work at many different places. But when I always thought abt being a doctor I thought of working in an office and seeing patients (kinda like how when ppl think of pharmacist they think of the retail one at walgreens or wal-mart or whatever). So I feel like a real doctor when I walk in a room and I'm like I'm your kids pediatrician this is not the same feeling I get when I'm in the nursery meeting the new moms. I frequently forget to introduce myself as Dr.
I however still get weirded out every time some calls me Doctor though. Like all the nurses and the secretaries and stuff. I want to be like oh no don't call me doctor. But anyway....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I am so glad you know. Alot of people go through life never finding out what they love to do and do it.
ReplyDelete