Saturday, July 4, 2009

Azucar Amarga

So I started for real on Wed. so Wed was the azucar. It was a great day. Every I could I hope for in a first day. I met my attendings who seem very supportive and nice. I figured out how to use the computer system, more or less. Then I went to clinic. I got my first new patient a 4mo and his 15mo older brother. My clinic attending is going to teach me Creole :) (I have been trying for 10 years to get someone to agree and try and teach me creole...I mean I pick up languages pretty easily) So now starts the amarga. Now I knew going into this pogram that they were heavy in nursery and this was not necessarily something I like. Well I had the call night from down under and I am not referring to Australia. So only my last delivery at 5:50 am (i stop covering deliveries at 6am) was normal. I had to send 2 babies to the NICU. 2 sets of twins, a drug addicted baby, 3 babies that needed positive pressure ventillation, and one that needed chest compressions. In the chest compression delivery at 4 in the morning the senior resident on call for NICU that was covering some deliveries with me looks at me and goes I think you're a black cloud (code for someone who has bad luck on call nights) I have never had to do chest compressions. I had a baby in respiratory distress, and another that needed UV lights at 2 am for bad jaundice. Needless to say I got no sleep (correction 15 min) and left the hospital 1.5 hrs late. Oh and the icing was the parent that yelled at me at hour 31 b/c their baby couldn't be discharged until exactly 48 hours after birth. Excuse me for trying to keep people's kids safe. I know I'm a horrible doctor. At any rate I was ready by Friday midday I was ready to quit. Quite seriously. Maybe I should just be a bumb or a health professions advisor I can help you get into any professional school and tell you why you don't want the job. Ok I know I'm being dark right now. Maybe as one of my attendings said "well look at the bright side you survived a really bad night and it won't ever be worse that that" I was like yeah right it could have been worse someone could have died. She's like no that wont happen. Lets hope not. B/c at the moment I'm azucar amarga. Probably more amarga than azucar. But I guess you take the good and bad and there you have the facts of life.

1 comment:

  1. Your last sentence had me humming the song. Anyway, I have never understood why someone would be an OB/GYN. Who wants to get frantic calls in the middle of the night to deliver a baby? Even though you had the night from hell, I know it will get better. Right? I hope so anyway.

    ReplyDelete