Friday, August 21, 2009

Retreat

So today was the first of our 2 intern retreats. Basically each year the resident year in peds has a retreat twice a year which is one day when you get away from clinical responsibilities and get some professional development and bonding time with some of the attendings and each other as a class. it's nice b/c it's really hard to find a time when we're all off at the same time (let me rephrase that - there is never a time when we are all off together) So today's retreat was not a disappointment. It was a ton of fun and I think we all got to know each other a little better. I also see why all the other classes like going to Dr. T's house so much. At any rate aside from griping, laughing, crying, taking our class fun pictures, playing the Wii and Dance Dance Revolution the serious activity we did was a DISC personality assessment. We all know how much I like the introspective psychoanalysis. So DISC is an aconym that stands for Dominant, Influence, Steadiness, Conscientious.

So D's are ppl who get immediate results, cause action, accept challenges, make quick decisions, take authority, manange trouble, solve problems, Like new and varied activies, freedom from control, and opportunities of individual accomplishement. Others see them as bossy, pushy, authoritative, blunt, rude.

I's are ppl who like creating a motivating environment, play hard, enjoy gathering enthusiasm, view people and situations with optimism, love group work, are articulate, like an environment with popularity, social recognition, freedom of expression, need ppl. Others see them as funloving, talkative, a little to playful, scatterbrained and disorganized.

S's are ppl who perform in a predictable manner, like to help others, show loyalty, are calming and not easily excitable, do not like drama. Needs an environment with predictable routines, credit for work accomplished, standard operating procedures. need time to process things before speaking. Others see them as predictable, ppl who are pushovers and can easily be taken advantage of, reserved

C's are ppl who adhere to key directives and standards, they are rule followers, make decisions based on facts, check for accuracy, use subtle approaches to conflict, need clearly defined performance expectations, don't offer ideas until they know they are right. Ask lots of why questions. Others see them as anal, organized, controlling, standoffish.

So guess what I am. I'm a C primarily and then a D secondarily (though there's a substantial gap there)

So then after you plot your DISC score out you get a classical pattern that describes you as a worker. So I'm an Objective Thinker.
I reject interpersonal aggression, My primary goal is correctness. I influence others with facts, data and logical arguements. I overuse analysis. Under pressure I become worried. I fear ridicule. I emphasize facts and draw conclusions and plan actions. I seek to be correct and accurate. I avoid public failure by preparing meticulously and I like to work with ppl who do the same. I like a peaceful work environment and aggressive people make me uncomfortable. I have a strong need to control my environment and do this indirectly via rules and standards that I adhere to and expect others to adhere to. I am very concerned abt the right answer and the right way to do things I don't like ambiguity or gray areas. When I make a mistake I hesitate to acknowledge it and immerse myseld in search of info that supports my position.

Yeah it fit me to a key. Particularly the last statement. All 14 of us agreed that the test was very accurate in the work setting and so I'd highly recommend the DISC test to all of you who are in management or manage ppl or have to work in collaborative groups with ppl on a regular basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment