So my last few posts have been lengthy and I apologize in advance this one will be too. What can I say I have a lot to say.
So one my my fellow interns suggested that we all read this book entitled the 5 love languages. Commonly used by marriage therapists but also teaches you to relate to other ppl you interact with including co-workers. Anyway b/c we're all pediatricians I think most of us kinda hopped on this in fact so much so that we're discussing it at our upcoming intern retreat next week. Anyway for those you who don't know the premise of the book. It's that there are 5 languages through which love is communicated. All of use have 1 primary language. Some have 2. While you can become fluent (and it's best if you do) in all of the languages u usually communicate primarily in the language that is your primary. A problem if the people you commonly communicate with don't have the same primary language as you. While most people are able overall to recognize all the love languages you will not feel loved unless you are spoken to in your primary language.
So I read all about the languages and realized i inherently understood them all and then took the quiz. So it turns out that I'm bilingual (I have 2 primary love languages) this made me feel better since I was reading I was having trouble deciding btwn the 2 which was primary. I have 2 that basically i dont really like to receive in and 1 in the middle.
So here are the 5 languages.
1) Words of affirmation - you feel loved when ppl say kind and affirming things to you, provide reassurance etc.
2) Gifts - you attach huge sentimental value to tangible things you are given. It doesn't have to be expensive but you love cards and gifts just b/c. you like special dates remembered.
3) Act of Service - you feel love and expect love by rendering practical service.
4) Quality Time - you feel love by spending time w/ ppl , having conversation. You like to plan trips with ppl in your life, or do things, entertain, have supper clubs etc.
5) Physical Touch - you like close contact with people. Sitting near, holding hands, pats on the back, reassuring and comforting touch, hugs.
So my primary languages are gifts and quality time. My middle of the road is words of affirmation, and my least are acts of service and physical touch. My primary not suprising at all. And probably not suprising to most of you. That physical touch was low also not suprising I tend to like my personal space. The Act of Serice and Words of affirmation suprising. I would have thought that acts of service would have been higher. But i realized that I consider Acts of service frequently that the person is just nice. Probably b/c I don't recognize it as readily as a love language. I wouldn't have thought words of affirmation would have been as high either. but still in the middle range.
So what are your thoughts on this. Do you think my results fit. What do you think your primary language is. You can send me an email if you don't want to post on blog.
Oh yeah and I highly recommend the book. The five Love languages by gary chapman.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I took the test, and my primary is Words of Affirmation. Which totally makes sense when I think about it. Totally me.
ReplyDeleteCan I borrow the book so I can read it and give it back to you? I think the results fit. I think my primary would be quality time. I am not sure how the others would fall but after you let me borrow the book to read and take the test, I will let you know. :-)
ReplyDelete