So I survived my first month. Yeah!!!! Friday at 1pm i was officially done with my nursery rotation. While I will have many more nursery calls over the year I will never be the nursery intern again. This makes me happy. A baby doctor I am not. My senior made Vi (my fellow intern cohort on the service) goodie bags to commerate the month (as an aside this is all because Rattlers are the best) Mine was hilarious and highlighted some of the memorable moments of the month. I've included those along with some others for your reading pleasure.
1) 2 packs of double mint gum. - There were twins born on our service every time I was on call
I also had 5 patients with the last name Gordon this past month (allegedly she does not recall ever having a patient with this last name before) it appears I have a lot of family.
2) socks - b/c I have quite the collection of funny socks. Gotta keep the scrubs stylish.
3) a combination lock that is programmed with the 1, 5, 10 minute apgars of the kid I had to do chest compressions on.
4) a mask - because you never know when you're baby is going to need PEEP
5) transfer forms - b/c i also transfered at least one baby to the NICU every week. Apparently my babies did not get the memo that this was a well newborn nursery.
Aside from that I learned that you can really get woken up in the middle of the night go to a delivery and then go right back to sleep 20 minutes later.
That you can enter orders from bed or on the phone, I can do procedures even when sleep deprived. The thing the parent of any male child will be most concerned with is when he's getting circumcised. He may not be breathing well but all they will care abt is when you can do the circumcision and how much it will cost.
And much much much much more. It was a good month but I wouldn't do it again. I learned a ton. I got 25 new patients for my practice. Got nothing done for my research project. Better luck next month I suppose.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Congratulations!!! Keep up the good work, lives are depending on it.
ReplyDelete