Sunday, August 2, 2009

Lonna Day

So abt 8 months ago I've started this new thing called the Lonna Day. Some of you who knew me at FAM might remember my mental health days. Well this is a more structured sophisticated form of that. A while back I read somewhere probably in Essence magazine about taking the day date of the month that your birthday falls on as a day that you do positive things for you that feed your spirit. So in my case my Lonna day would be the 8th of each month. Well I don't have that much control over my schedule so I can't do it on the 8th of each month (one of these days) but I do pick a day each month. The key is you have to pick a day b/c the anticipation is almost as important as the day. Think abt if you just left your birthday or anniversary to haphazard chance. It would happen sometimes you just don't know when. That wouldn't be fun. Anyway you pick something you want to do. Sometimes my Lonna days are lavish a massage, lunch at my favorite restaurant. Sometimes they're simple laying in bed in my pjs all day reading a book and watching a favorite movie. Anyway today was one of those days but the sad part was that up until abt 9pm last night I had no clue what I was doing.

Anyway I woke up had breakfast in bed. Spent the morning on the phone with my mom and then one of my best friends. Then I spent the afternoon at the Orlando Historical Society Museum. This was great b/c it's a really nice museum. I love history and random facts esp of the social studies genre. additionally it gave me some insight into some other historical things I can do in the Orlando area. I also learned some new things (duh that's why you go to the museum) I learned how temple terrace - an area of tampa got it's name. the origin of the term cracker, that some sweet oranges are green even when ripe, what makes indian river fruit special, that florida hospital started out as a sanitarium in 1908 for wealthy northerners. and much more. It was great!!!!!!! I'd go back plus they change some of their exhibits. Afterwards I found this great ice cream parlor that serves homemade icecream. I got strawberry (w/ real strawberries in it) in a sprinkle dipped cone it was delish. It was a great day kinda like being 12 again without the pimples, and preteen angst.

So another successful Lonna day. Any suggestions for the next one.
Oh yeah I also bought tickets to see the broadway tour of Grease later this month. Grease lightning go grease lightning.

1 comment:

  1. You know, when the fall semester starts, I may try that - a me day when I do something not school related, just with and for me (not hubby, not baby). I love them both, but I think I'm going to need it from time to time.

    ReplyDelete