Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Circs

So none of the males are going to like this post. So I did my first solo circumcision today. It was fun. I mean beforehand I was sweating buckets. But after I was done huge sense of accomplishment. I've done one before with assistance but this was the first one that was just me. Parents are always really concerned about their kids circumcision. You ask them after the delivery if they have any questions. Before they can ask you if their baby is ok. Do they have a murmur? Umm so when is he going get circumcised. I'm like seriously? Not today. And for most of my patients b/c of their insurance or lack there of not in the hospital and in some cases not ever. They're disappointed to hear that it's a cosmetic procedure (esp the moms who seem to beg to differ) and that it will cost them $250 if their insurance doesn't cover it. Dad's always want to know if it's going to hurt, do I think their apparatus is the appropriate size and of course they want to make sure I'm not going to screw it up ( I'm not sure the dad's actually understand the procedure I'm like I said circumcize not castrate) Anyway it's pretty quick (20 min) but like real surgery. I mean w/ controlling bleeding and all. But you're working on a really small target and definetally does seem a little painful (we give the babies "baby crack" and also do a nerve block) Anyway I can't wait to do more. I need 10 to be certified but I'd probably want to do more so I'm real comfortable doing them wherever I practice. B/c as one of my attendings pointed out....I might have patients who want me to circ their baby and it'd be nice to say sure I can do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment