Tuesday, August 18, 2009

A Couple of Gripes

So today I experienced for the first time why those who are not pediatricians hate pediatrics? 1) b/c we torture children 2) b/c children don't cooperate. So I'm on a procedures week this week which basically means I walk around the clinic, lab, nurseries, floor looking for procedures (blood draws, shots, casts, IVs, circumcisions, ear piercing) that I can do. You need to have completeted a certain number of each type of procedure for credentialing. So I spent most of yesterday afternoon giving shots. I enjoy giving shots to adults but i felt really bad giving them to the little kids that start crying as soon as they see you come in the room with the shots. I mean I almost didn't want to do it. However I was extremely annoyed by the parents crying hysterically this just makes their kids more anxious. Suck it up!!!! Seriously. Today I was doing blood draws now that was scarier b/c of course most ppl are afraid of getting their own blood drawn so they don't hold their kids well. Kids of course move a lot almost getting me stuck and causing me to miss and attempt again. Ugh I wished I was working on an adult who you just tell don't move.

My second gripe so this evening we had a handling residency stress seminar. When 5-7:30pm mandatory. So why am I annoyed. B/c it is the 9th day in a row I've worked with no day off. I'm working 13 straight. This is the 6th day in a row I've had to stay late and I've been on call 5 days straight. Im tired the last thing I needed to do was go to a semnar on managing stress. You want me to manage my stress how abt letting me go home early. Instead you take more of my free time and make me work more hours. if they wanted to manage our stress this seminar would have been from 8 - 10:30 in the morning and they would have had our attendings cover our work during that time. That would have mananged my stress. Not atteding 2.5 extra hours to my workday. THAT DID NOT MANAGE MY STRESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(hmm that kinda felt good)

1 comment:

  1. OooKkkkkay. Calm down, calm down. Would you like me to send a letter of complaint for you? :-)

    ReplyDelete