Monday, September 14, 2009

Sometimes I really hate my job

1) Sometimes we let mom's go home earlier than we planned to by a few hours (48 or 72) if mom is reliable, OB is ready for her to go, mom is ready to go and or mom is experienced. So I had an "experienced mom" the other day. She was 16 her second child. It's sad that a 16 yo is experienced.

2) I had an 18 yo last night who has a history of domestic violence from her current baby's father. He looks a good bit older than her 18 and honestly I have never been afraid of a patient or their family until I met him. He was brooding and scowling, and pacing behind me the whole time I was talking to her. When the baby cried he got upset yelling at me to make it shut up. In the end my heart hurts for the baby and her mother. The mother b/c while she is lucky that she's alive right now as a pregnany women who is in an abusive relationship her next obstacle will be having a baby in this situation. Her life and her baby's life are at risk. I also hate the fact that if this baby isn't a "good" baby and even if she is she'll probably get hit or hurt. I hate that despite my social work consult that nothing will probably change for either of them.

So that's why sometimes I hate my job....

3 comments:

  1. That is crazy. Man, I wouldn't think that you'd have to worry about crazy people at your job, but I suppose all kinds of people have babies...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I meet all types b/c I take care of everyone in my job. Private patients who I am sure are quite affluent (there was a family the nursing staff was jokingly calling the DERBY family they had juicy coture clothing for their child, the entire room smelled like perfume, they had sheets for the hospital crib) some average folks and the poorest of the poor, the incarcerated. I've learned that people of beautiful and despicable character reside in all of those groups.

    ReplyDelete