Saturday, September 19, 2009

On Overdrive

So I've had several people ask me why I selected Overdrive as the name of my blog. I would have thought it would be quite apparent but perhaps some of my current endeavors might explain.

So I ultimately want to become an Adolescent Physician so I've got to apply for a fellowship after I finish my pediatric training. This application process will be underway next year. Meaning I have to get some CV boosting activities in right now. In the middle of being an 8o hr a week working intern. How do you do that? Well some months you work 90 - 100/ hrs per week others you work 50-60. So you take the 50-60 hour week months and you stuff them with other scholarly activities. So I've started an adolescent medicine resident interest committee (we have other resident interest committees but never had an adolescent medicine one). Fortunately the chair of the adolescent department is also a person who is always on overdrive (probably even more than me). So we're analyzing systems at my hospital to see how adolescents interace and comparing it to the literature on ideals. Analysis is underway already and looks like abt 40+ potential strategic improvements. So we'll pick a few simple ones, one or 2 major ones, find some grants, write a few things up and submit them for publication, or presentation. Simple enough right?!.... We'll see how much of that checklist happens but it's added some excitement to my life. Just working was getting a little dull. However as an aside the chair already in abt 10 days has found me one potential grant deadline early november october is an 75 hr/wk kind of month so should be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment