So I was reading in Essence today while I was on the treadmill and one of the stories made me angry. It was abt a queen at an HBCU and how she was after she was elected with natural hair by the student body forced to relax it or get braids that were thin enough to be pinned (you know micros made out of chinese hair) or a weave. I was infuriated when I read that. I may have relaxed hair but that's by choice and I support any women who chooses to wear her hair the way God gave it too her. The statement of the university is that it's a sacrifice she needs to make for the school and that you need to look a certain way to appropriately represent the school. Her hair is not unprofessional in it's natural state. I am so angry so here's what I'm thinking. If you like me are sick of hearing that black natural hair is not good enough, mainstream enough or beautiful enough. Then join me in making our voices heard. Let's write the administration of Vorhees College of South Carolina and let them know that blackThe professional women do not stand for this. This is outrageous rolemodeling for the future leaders of our world. The university representative quoted was Willie Jefferson, Director of Athletics and Interim Dea of Enrollment Management. He stated that "she was never pointedly asked to relax her hair just that she merely adopt a more traditional look" there is nothing more traditional than natural roots. and "The conversation has to be had that you are representing the majority and regardless of what a queen may think, there's a standard association with that." Well there were are still several queens in Africa and again they don't all have relaxed or fake hair.
Contact information.
(803) 780-1049 - williej@voorhees.edu
I'm serious I'm writing this week.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment