So I spent the better part of my 4th year complaining about anytime USF had something mandatory that could have been applied to pediatrics but instead made us do the adult experience. The most upsetting of these was ACLS and my ICU month. So 2 things to know. 1) I hate taking care of adults (duh I'm a pediatrician in training) 2) I hate taking care of sick people. I know you're thinking but you're a DOCTOR!!!!! Yes but what we call sick people and what you all call sick ppl 2 different kinds of ppl. So I like managing disease, outpatient work, (as my allergist puts it ppl who don't need a doctor), preventative care etc. I like having time to assess and think about what is going on and try different therapies. I like some measure of structure and planning to my day. I hate suprises esp in my job so no I'm not an ED doc or an ICU doc, or an intensivist, or a neonatologist. So todayand tomorrow I have PALS (pediatric advanced life support) training and check-off so not really a happy camper. My ACLS (adult version) was not pleasant, I got flustered which made matters worse and scary b/c I knew one day I'd be in charge so not an exercise in futility. well today went well. i remained calm and actually it went pretty well. We'll see with the check-off tomorrow. But I realized that part of it was that even though my previous experience was with adults the concepts are still very similar. The experience in an emergent situation and in codes even if they are adults is still good experience. I was assured of this by ppl at USF but I didn't believe them of course. So it looks like my mandatory adult training had utility even though I'm a pediatrician. I guess they're right when they say you're a doctor first.
So in other news I met half of my fellow interns actually over half (9 total) They all seem real cool as expected. We all lunched together during the break today got to know bits and pieces about each other. Funny none of us consider ourselves doctors so when the PALS instructor was like who are the physicians in the room? ***crickets**** one of us finally was like uh i think he's referring to us.....we all laughed b/c yeah none of us consider ourselves the person who should be in touch of a code situation. See why I fear call?
Oh yeah and one more thing so yesterday I changed my driver's license over. I was actually kinda sad. for the first time in my life I had a driver's license with an address other than my home address. *sigh* I guess I'm a forreal adult now. No more living at home. For some reason that makes me really sad and I never thought I'd be sad about not living at home. As the saying goes "Home is a great place to visit but I'd never want to live there again"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Too funny, none of you all answered the physician call. Please don't let that happen again, especially if I am in need of a physician. :-)
ReplyDelete