Friday, June 19, 2009
I'm Retired
For the first time at 26 years old I have retired. From Wal-Mart and from being a pharmacist at least in a practicing sense. Yesterday was a charmed day. Good help. Nice patients (or maybe they just all seemed nice b/c I'm leaving). Rain. In pharmacies we pray for rain why b/c ppl don't come out when it rains so it's nice and quiet. We pray even harder for the power to go out then we get to lock down the shutters and chit-chat. The pharmacy must be secured in the event of a power outage no looting for drugs. Anyway the retirement was anticlimatic. I had already had a party 3 weeks prior at my home store. I was floating so these were not my tech's I'd worked with over the last 4 years though it is a store where I really like the techs. I think all in all I'm excited to be done. I never enjoyed working as a pharmacist. I'm not sure why I was good at it. It paid well but it wasn't very gratifying. I think b/c the profession was very controlled by people outside of pharmacy. I think also since I was always floating and putting out little fires I was frequently at stores no one wanted to be at and at a time when patients weren't happy b/c of inconsistencies. In a way though my retirement from Wal-Mart also marks the beginning of true adulthood. This June 14 marked 10 years. They have been my only employer (except my stint at Mayo one summer) my entire working career. So it's kinda like an old friend leaving. But I can't say I'm sad I'm retired. I had a huge grin on my face as I walked out the door and turned on the alarm for the last time. A phase in my life is ending and a new one is beginning.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment