Monday, June 15, 2009

Reunited

So I went to my 10 year high school reunion this past weekend. In some ways I can't believe it's been 10 years but in other ways it feels like it's been 10 years. 10 years doesn't make ppl look that different or act that different but it was good to see what everyone was up to. Some was suprising and some wasn't. I went to a college prep high that was pretty competitive and very good. My class caused the school to be ranked #1 on the nation it is currently #4. So naturally most people are really successful currently. But there were a few suprises. The National Merit Scholar turned GWU dropout and model. The attorney that dumpster dives for text books. It was funny to watch how in tact the social pecking order is still fast forwarded 10 years. I was saddened to find out 2 classmates who I remember well (they were in IB) had passed away. I was happy that they were remembered w/ tributes. It was pretty well organized though I must say the food at the BBQ was much better than at the formal banquet. We got a tour of the school and it was fun to take a trip down memory lane and remember all the good and bad times at set spots. The omg remember when you did this or I did that.

The best part was seeing my best friends from that time period. We've seen each other a few times between then and now (we're spread all over the country) but not often enough. We talk on the phone or online but it's not the same as in person. It's great to know that while life has taken us several different places and made our views on issues more and less similar than they were but at our cores we're still the same people. That makes me happy to think that all that life has handed me over the last 10 years hasnt changed me. Sometimes you wonder particularly as you get busy and defined by career and being busy if you're still yourself (I have a hard time remembering what I do for fun on occasion). So it was a nice reality check.

So lots of ppl talk abt high school reunions w/ dread but honestly my first pass was fun and I can't wait until the next one.

1 comment:

  1. You are getting old. Or should I say, you are old. :-)

    ReplyDelete