Monday, April 26, 2010

Princesses

So most ppl who know me make fun of my tiara thing. I get tiaras/ wear previously obtained tiaras for various special events b/c well I'm a princess for the day. It's my day and I should be treated royally (or something to that effect) Anyway several of my friends tease me about this but I really don't care. So one of my attendings is pregnant and she is horror of all horrors hoping that she doesn't have a girl (I have no idea why anyone wouldn't want to have at least 1 little girl) She actually stated that she didn't want a girl b/c she didn't want to have to go through the whole princess thing. She's like who thinks I want to be a princess when I grow up. Well as one who wanted to be a princess when she grows up (and some may argue has succeeded) I think there's nothing wrong with wanting to be a princess. Princesses are pretty, expect the best, are treated exquisitely, and have power. Things that every little girl should aspire to have. Being a princess doesn't negate all of the other amazing things that girls can grow up to do. In fact looking at real-world princesses validates that fact. Many of them are still quite educated and have careers outside of their royal status. So by now you're wondering where this all came from. Well I went to Disney yesterday with a colleague and as we were watching all the girls who got the "princess for a day makeover" walk through the magic kingdom. We were talking about wanting to be a princess when we were little (see I'm not the only crazy one) and in fact she mentioned that she thinks frequently now about what her life would be like if she were a princess. So I bought a new tiara yesterday b/c I haven't gotten one recently as every princess needs a new tiara :)

1 comment:

  1. I don't understand people who don't want girls - I LOVE having a girl! And I call her princess everyday. :)

    ReplyDelete