Monday, January 18, 2010

Sick Day

So I got sick for the first time of my intern year. Pretty impressive since peds residents spend most of their intern year getting sick courtesy of the vectors of disease, i mean patients. The year is over half over so that's decent. Anyway somewhere in the midst of yesterday afternoon I realized that it was really going to suck if I had to go to work the next day. I am not someone who skips work or school (I've gone to school and taken a test with an acute asthma exacerbation using my inhaltor every hour). I've also stayed on call as a med student in the same situation they actually sent me to the ED for a nebulizer. However I decided enough of the craziness...so I called in. I felt horrible about doing it though I felt better when I didn't meet criteria to work today. Apparently you have to be afebrile off antipyretics for 24 hours and able to control your secretions (whatever that means). I gotta tell you though I'm not good at just chilling. I felt crappy so I spent a lot of time in bed and drinking juice and stuff but I was real restless. I realized however it is the first time in my life I've ever had a job where I can actually take sick leave. Anyway I'm going back to work tomorrow. I've been afebrile since around 4 this morning. I'm not sure if i'm controlling my secretions (there are definetally more of them today than there were yesterday) but i'm sure someone will yell at me if I'm not. I'm not on heme/onc or the icu or the nursery so I'm sure it'll be ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment