Friday, January 15, 2010

Nemesis

So I survived the NICU and I'm headed back to the dreaded floor on Monday. This is going to be a true test of patience b/c once I've decided I don't like something it's very hard for me to go back to doing it. I'm not an inpatient person but more importantly I don't like chaos. So while in med school the peds floor was the only inpatient rotation I enjoyed in residency it is proving to be the only experience I hate. But alas if I survive this one it will be 2 down 1 to go. the crazy thing is I've been racking my brain for months trying to figure out why this was such a bad experience. The thought being if I can figure out what was so bad then I could eventually overcome it. I think however this just might be one of those unknown things. I will however be able to test out a different theory next month. The new Peds as I'm sure you are well aware is a female dominated profession. So males in peds theory (as I'm sure is the theory of males everywhere) is that the reason why the floor becomes so stressful is because females thrive on drama. They claim to be the more chill gender attribute female angst to being our own doing. Well this upcoming month 3/4 males in our program will be on the floor together. Giving males the majority of the team. I think it will be interesting to see if this truly makes the experience less stressful. If the month is dramatically better I may be inclined to go along with this male in peds theory (though having more experience could be a cause for less drama)

No comments:

Post a Comment