Wednesday, December 2, 2009

God's Work

So I've been in the Pediatric Special Care Unit (the lesser of the 2 pediatric ICUs we have at my hospital). So I've been dreading this month b/c I don't do well in emergencies, it's the hardest month of intern year and I really don't like taking care of sick people (I know sounds weird but I don't) Anyway my first night on call (after my first day there) I get a patient with a hemoglobin of 6 (bad really bad) so he gets an adult blood transfusion (he's 4) and it drops to 2.8 (his body is eating up blood cells) the next morning and another unit of blood it's 1.9 he's white as a sheet and having mental status changes. It's the day before thanksgiving and I'm sitting in a room with my attending tell a mom we're sending her child to the bigtime ICU and that he probably won't live through the night (we're running out of options). Well my attending comes up with an idea that hasn't been done since like 1975 (he's really old) The child lives and he went home today. My attending the next morning at rounds in tears literally is like a few times in your career God gives you a miracle that reminds you why we do what we do urges us not to lose sight of why we do what we do. It really has stuck with me since I've seen a bit of death these past 10 days. I have a baby whose parents rolled on her and she is now neurologically devastated. Beautiful baby and her parents fcel horrible b/c they did this to her accidentally but did anyway.
Anyway I've been blessed to remain on the email list-serves of every church I've ever attended. So my home church (like before I left for school) sends me all their email newsletter and recently my former youth pastor who is now the senior pastor there started this thing he calls the mid-week snack. It's basically a little midweek lift/ devotional thought in your email every Wed and I thought what a great idea. I also thought wow this is God's work. Duh! You're saying he's a pastor he does God's work every day. Well yes but I've had several pastors in my life that I like but none more than Pastor Juan. He is a man of God who truly takes innovative measures in all that he does. Takes time out and cares about his members even when he was just the youth pastor. He is so creative in his evangelism and I know he has after my parents been the most influential person in my spiritual life. I realize it's because of the extra steps he takes. Thinking abt it brought back the story I shared in the beginning. I think that each of us get to do God's work daily in our jobs. It's about going that extra mile...even when you're tired....even when you can do less and be adequate, ok or even good. So I challenge each of you to figure out how you can do God's work in your job.

1 comment: