So now that my intern year is coming to close my overactive imagination is becoming spooked regarding next year. 4 weeks from tonight will be the night before my 2nd year and I can only imagine I might get as much sleep as I did my June 30 of last year. I however over the past couple of days saw a couple of things that made me anticipate that I will sleep a little easier.
1) I had my mock code yesterday. It was my first one for the year and all year I've been dreading it. It actually went better than expected and wasn't as scary as I thought. I tend to freeze in tight situations but this one made me realize that if I keep a level head I know what to do if "survival is the aim" and hey at a real code I have extra people there keeping track of the little things. This is reassuring b/c I have the PICU kinda early in my year and we do solo PICU calls where we are in charge of the entire ICU and the attending leaves. My biggest fear of course is that someone codes... Now not saying I really want that experience but I do feel better that I may be able to do something besides hyperventilate.
2) I ran into one of the renal attendings in the doctor's lounge over breakfast this morning. She decided to give me her unsolicited advice to making the jump. She was like just remember you can always ask for help, and to find a buddy in your class you can call when you're like I just need to run something by another set of ears to make sure I'm not crazy. She then shared a couple of things from her first night on call as a renal fellow. As a fellow you essentially are an attending for your service overnight which i never thought about before but is quite intimidating. Great something new to become scared about in a couple of years. But I admire this particular attending and don't really think of her as being uncertain about things so it was reassuring.
So we'll see where this all yields. Its funny how your perspective changes from one of survival to let me soak up as much as possible your last few months of intern year.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment