Sunday, March 7, 2010

Educating Children

So my vacay is almost over today is the last day.... :( It was simple but good and I have another one in 8 weeks so I think I'll make it. But this is not the purpose of the post (as I'm sure you've gathered from the title) So I was reading my Essence from March (finally as I'm sure the April one is in my mailbox) and there as an entire article devoted to the Obama's take on parental responsibility in their children's education. As I was reading their thoughts I thought they were good enough to share. Not because they came from the Obama's b/c clearly they stole their ideas from my mom. Who I am sure stole them from someone else. They are also principles that I share with my patient's parents if only they would listen (the one's who have have already reported good results) So many successful people could not be wrong.

1) No TV during the week ( in the Gordon household we got to watch the CBS evening news from 6:30 - 7:00 that was it) there were occasional exceptions...state of the union address.
2) Set bedtime 8:30 for Sasha 9:00 for Malia (this correlated so closely to my bedtimes at their respective grades that I'm telling you they stole my mama's methods)
3) As soon as you get home from school homework starts (only exception if there's some activity piano lessons, dance lessons that night and even then you do it on the way there and on the way back) you don't do anything fun until homework is done the only break was for dinnertime
4) Since you're not watching TV you can read when you're done until bedtime.
5) Both parents attended all parent-teacher conferences (he suggests this should happen whether or not the parents are together)
6) Teachers know mom (I suppose dad would work if he were the one with the more flexible schedule) from the beginning of the school year and she is involved in activities visiting the school at least once a quarter (I used to hate how well my teachers knew my parents they would fill their rx at my dad's pharmacy, they would see them in the grocery store and stop to chat this however meant I minded my p's and q's b/c who knew what might come out as they were chatting)
7) Children are given early and strict expectations for taking early responsibility for their education. They were given an alarm clock when they were 4 that they were expected to set and use to wake up each morning, beds made, get dressed and to breakfast table in time to get to school ontime. This is easier of course if you are following #2 and your kids have a good bedtime b/c they will have gotten the 10 hrs of sleep they need at night. Parents monitor them but it's their responsibility to meet the mark. (I got my alarm clock in 3rd grade but yeah the picking out clothes, making my bed etc started at 4)
8) Education is marketed as a privalege not a burden (If I heard one more speach abt ambition and taking advantage of opportunities and the sacrifices my parents, and grandparents, and other black people and immigrants made so I could have this quality education I thought I would hurl....I give the same speech to others though)
9) Always do your best. Don't make a B even though that's a good grade in a class that you have the ability to make an A in. (My mother's mantra "I never want to see you work below your abilities")

So apparently my mom wasn't crazy she knew the things that successful people know and I guess so do I and I guess now and maybe before so do you.

No comments:

Post a Comment