Monday, February 8, 2010

An Ideal Week

So there are many reasons that I wanted to be a pediatrician. I can truly say last week was the best week I've ever had since becoming one. Not because everything went well or all was happy b/c it was anything but that. However it was all the components of professional development one could want.

1) Interesting cases - pediatricians spend a lot of time doing rule out sepsis work-ups, RSV bronchiolitis, asthma, but I got some cool stuff also last week...pancreatitis, infected CCAM, rhabodmyolysis, septic joint...
2) Patient's that made your heart hurt - see the previous post on NAT, plus my spinal tumor patient from before Christmas....rescanned results not good.
3) Time to get to know your patient's personally - Bible study with one, a birthday party for another
4) Going the extra mile - sitting and listening to a mother who was having trouble coming to term with a hard diagnosis
5) Research - MY GRANT GOT APPROVED!!!!!! enough said
6) Continuity - had a patient in the hospital, saw them in my practice, got mom enrolled in my Teen 'n Tots clinic
7) Conflict Resolution - I had an issue with a co-worker and we were able to resolve it without drama, distress, or work gossip (remember peds is a female dominated profession = passive aggressive) I took the initiative to bring up the problem rather than just waiting til the eval to vent my frustrations.

It was a good week. I lots of learning . Lots of growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment