Friday, February 19, 2010

The Ambitious Woman

So the Women's Ministry at my church is reading this book called "When a Woman Meets Jesus" by Dorothy Valcarcel. It's a really good book. I wasn't too sure if I'd like it b/c the women's ministry at my church (as I figure is the case at most churches) is comprised of women I would consider closer to my mom's age than mine (hmm maybe I'm getting older) so I wasn't sure they'd be reading a book I'd find relevant. I also wasn't so sure I'd enjoy the meetings. Well suprise, suprise women of all ages seem to experience the same problems over and over again you just have new perspectives on them. Anyway the chapter we're discussing at this month's meeting is the ambitious woman (I just got to reading it yesterday b/c they started reading the book before I showed up so I'm trying to catchup). So each of the chapters are titled after various types of women...and it starts with a definition. Ambitious is defined as "greatly desirous, aggressive, hard-driving." As I read that of course my blood started to boil....it suddenly occurred to me why ambition in women is considered a bad trait. I always wondered why women who are successful and ambitious are considered aggressive but I guess that's why. The book had a positive perspective but yeah as a woman who is quite ambitious I'm not sure at the moment how to reconcile the 2 perspectives. I really don't think that most ambitious women are aggressive to a fault I think its just hard to balance your desire to do more with a traditional feminine role. I know I haven't figured that out...I'm not sure I ever will.

In another note I'm off today!!!!! Why because I worked to many days last month!!!! I was on call wed night so I ended up witha a long golden weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment